As a side-project to my squares project, I’m also keeping track of which Thames crossings I’ve “done”.
I’ve chopped things up into the following categories:
- Road/bridges tunnels navigable by bike: I must’ve ridden across/ for them to “count”. Example: Waterloo Bridge.
- Foot bridges and tunnels: I must’ve ridden or wheeled my bike across/through these for them to count. Example: Greenwich Foot Tunnel.
- Railway bridges and tunnels: I’m counting these if I’ve been on the relevant train/tube/DLR line – the bike doesn’t have to have come with me. Example: Kingston Railway Bridge
- Ferries: If the ferry allows bikes to come on board (and most do) then the bike must come for it to count. Example: Hammerton’s Ferry.
- Roads inaccessible to bike: If the road has some custom arrangement for bikes (e.g. Dartford crossing), I must use that custom arrangement. Otherwise any type of crossing will count. Example: M3 Bridge at Chertsey.
- Other. One in this case – Emirates “Air Line” Cable car. I did not take the bike when I went on this, but I believe you can.
Within each category, crossings are listed in most-downstream order first. Links in the first column lead to a Wikipedia page or similar resource. Links in the third column lead to a Strava activity where I “ticked” the crossing.
Road bridges / tunnels navigable by bike (58/74 crossed)
Footbridges and tunnels
Railway bridges and tunnels
|Canary Wharf / Rotherhithe Ferry||Ferry||TODO|
|Shepperton to Weybridge Ferry||Ferry||TODO|
Roads inaccessible to bikes
|Dartford crossing southbound||No bikes road bridge||TODO|
|Dartford crossing northbound||No bikes road tunnel||TODO|
|Blackwall Tunnel southbound||No bikes road tunnel||TODO|
|Blackwall Tunnel northbound||No bikes road tunnel||TODO|
|M3 Chertsey Bridge||Road bridge (motorway)||DONE|
|M4 bridge at Maidenhead||Road bridge (motorway)||DONE|
|Emirates Air Line||Cable car||DONE|